Monday, December 12, 2011

Kinky Food!!!

“Balut! Balut!" cried the hawker, carrying a steaming basket on his shoulder. I had been hearing this cry every evening for several days. I knew it was something people ate, but did not have a clue what it was. I finally asked a Filipino friend.
“Oh! You haven’t eaten a Balut?” he enquired incredulously. He tried explaining the rather unique delicacy. To me it sounded like some form of boiled egg!
“No big deal, we eat plenty of them back home” said I. He thought for a while and said this was different. He told me it was ‘sexy’. Now! I was really curious.
I finally approached the hawker the next day with the trepidation of a teenager buying condoms at a pharmacy. The description of ‘sexy’ was making me curious. The hawker spoke a little English. He whipped aside the steaming cloth that covered a basket full of eggs. He went on to crack the top of one egg to make a little hole. I was getting quite nervous about this whole affair. He proffered the egg to me and asked me to suck the contents out through the hole. He watched while I tentatively put my lips to the hole in the egg. I almost felt like I was doing something clandestine. Seeing me suck up the contents of the egg he heaved the basket onto his shoulders with the ominous promise of “Make you sexy”. The contents went down my throat – a warm, gelatinous mucus like bolus, leaving behind some tasteless crunchy bits in my mouth. I chewed and swallowed that too. I hurried back to my hotel room. I certainly did not want to be overwhelmed by some gross sexual transformation on the main street of the little town of Puerto Princesa. God only knew what it was!? I sat back and waited for the ‘sex elements’ to take effect. After about an hour I realized nothing was happening. Realizing it was safe to venture out, I sauntered out to the hotel bar. Over a bottle of beer (the world famous San Miguel) a Filipino doctor friend told me about the enigmatic Balut. Balut, he explained, was a fertilized egg that is incubated till about 10 to 15 days to allow the chick to form. It is then boiled and the developing chick is eaten by sucking it out through a small hole as I had done. The crunchy bits were the cartilages of the chick’s early skeleton. The rest was obviously half formed foetal tissues which were of course boiled. The locals also called it an ‘abortion’. He told me that he himself preferred it a little more mature- incubated for a few more days. He explained that there would be some downy feathers by then. He offered to introduce me to the more mature feathery version. I politely declined. No! I wasn’t in a mood for the more ‘well done’ version. I then delicately put the question uppermost in my mind. “What about its aphrodisiac properties”. The Filipino doctor burst into laughter. He confirmed what I already suspected. It was a popular myth. “The feathers sometimes tickle your palate” he said. “Nothing else gets tickled….” he said with a mischievous smile!!

No comments: