Friday, February 6, 2009

Turning Fifty

It was a pleasant surprise to learn that Barbie Doll will be celebrating her fiftieth birthday in March. I too am turning 50 in March. We even share the same star. The similarity ends there. Barbie remains svelte and sexy. I cannot say the same for myself. She does not have a streak of grey on her full, blonde head. Age has not been kind to my hair or waist. Like me, Barbie has lived through the fashions of our times. For her it included conservative robes, tantalizingly short mini skirts, dress suits, hippie wear and even a pentagon approved military outfit. I have gone from drain pipe pants to bell bottoms to pleated baggies to whatever is available at our neighborhood ready made show room. Her dresses were designed by Christian Dior and Vera Wang. Mine were stitched by Singaram tailors who recently closed shop due to the chain of ready made outlets that have sprung up all over town. It must be said that her wardrobe is certainly more fashionable, eclectic and expensive than mine. I really cannot afford the underclothing she wears.
When I turned forty I assured myself that I was entering a new phase in life. I looked forward to the next decade as a defining one that would magically mix and blend the adventurism of youth with the experience of age. One wag even suggested that ‘Forty makes people naughty’. I am waiting for the magic and fifty is just a month away. I look forward to the next decade with the same anticipation I experienced when turning forty. 10 years down the road, Barbie doll is going to look the same. No such luck for me. Being a fashionable doll has its privileges.

George
Feb 2009

1 comment: